Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Knowing Myself

I have a name tagged on the seventh day after my birth. My name consists of two separate words or names. Both names are alien to me. They are not our language, culture or names.

My country is an island nation consisting of more than 1200 islands. I live in the midst of the Indian Ocean. These islands cross the equator and the famous sea routes of the one and half degree channel. Travelers from all curves of the globe stopped by, lived for a period or even stayed forever on these islands. No wonder why my name is a mixture reflecting the seafaring culture of my country.

I knew the meaning of my names while I was half way through my secondary schooling. My first name is Arabic, of Central Semitic language origin. And my second name is Ordu, a distant relative of my mother tongue, of Central Indo-Aryan language of Indo Iranian branch belonging to the Indo European family of languages.

I have to research even to write about myself. But it is fun and I am learning a lot more than I already know.

As I swim deeper into myself, I begin to know the ancient mysteries of my other self

No comments: